Saturday, May 07, 2005

May Music Month

honest daves morning RANT is on THE GENERATOR every FRIDAY morning after 9.30 , 89 FM - or download an MP# when its up... who knows when... from the THE GENERATOR website./..

(and yes - tom jones sang 'delilah' (it just rhymed with fire better than cheryl moana)

good morning listeners

May music month.

Nz has come along way from the dark ages of the musical wasteland that I grew up in the 70’s and eighties. As a child who can remember poking the nose of the muldoon plastic piggy banks in toy world on victoria st, I can tell you that there was no great patriotism on the radio playlist in those days. Nothing. Nada. Although there was the odd rat in the turntable kitchen. John rowles-his- own may have had a little smoke with ‘delilah’ but there was no playlist fire on top of mount maunganui shall we say…. and delilah doesn’t even sound like a sheila from the east cape or masterton. In the 70’s John Rowles sang songs about Tania – not taniwha and longed for the bright lights of Te Vegas enroute from palmerston north. Word to the father. ‘Montego bay’ by john stevens was a another glimmer of kiwi musical cuisine that reached my pre pubescent ears even though casy casem on 1ZH hadnt heard of em or his herom of screaming sacred heart students in catholic hamilton east. Looking at my McMillans school atlas last night, I can tell you that montego bay is not part of our local foreshore. No, no Montego bay placards were hikoiing to the capital last year. In 1979 you couldn’t imagine jon stevens singing ‘Kaipara harbour’ No, new zealand music has come along way down dominion road in celebrating our imdigging it, indigenous heritage. Good on ya mates.

A year or two ago I was in a school classroom in Thames helping celebrate the arts in the school. I had 30 4th form students armed with classical guitars who didn’t know how to play a note looking at me for leadership. 30 kids with more clap than clapton. No slow hands but a lot of wrist. Being something of a scared person I stalled and got them to write down their 5 top bands.

The heart warming thrill of the day, only seconded by the musical haemorrage of 30 kids plucking sweet home alabama. (its just lucky lynrd skynard died on impact)…. the thrill of the day was that the bulk of these kids wrote down kiwi acts in their top 5 bands. Kiwi bands.

This is something. After scaling everest and splitting the atom and claiming pavlova as our own, we, or at least the young kids of today who ride very small bycycles, seem to have arrived, even in the cultural abyss of Thames high school, arrived with a keen pride in nz music . Captain Cook may have thrown the good ship the endeavour in and out of the firth of thames faster than you can build a new suburb in flagstaff, but listeners, the kids in thames are in no hurry. They have discmans now and mc donalds and they love nz music. Love it. Listeners be of good cheer, be heartened this day, in this great month of NZ music in happy hamilton.

This IS something. my top 5 songs in school in 1983 were move it on over, boys light up, burning down the house, legs by zz top and only cos my brother was into them….. I promised you a miracle by simple minds. No mockers. dance exponents, dudes, or hello sailer for me.

I still have a no hello sailer rule obviously, but things have changed. I think shihad formerly known as pacifier formerly known as shihad formerly known as bogans have musical mojo. I have heard che fu in grey lynn and had a transcendent experience. I have burnt a golden horse cd. I never saw Armstrong walk on the moon but I have seen Beck runga sign to Sony and have seen a blindspott drummer get lucky with a supermodel.

So we thank thee mother karyn hay and saint dick driver and radio with pictures and flying nun and c4 and music quotas and the generator for nz music. Thanks be to Howard Morrisn

And to the robber that ripped my stereo out of my Toyota yesterday, and rogered my car door lock. You did it on my freakin birthday – may you have a civil union with ricky martin

You have been listening to honest daves morning rant on the generator

1 Comments:

Blogger esmerelda said...

Honest dave...

its time we got our band up and running!! Come and see me!!! you have m,y disco ball.

11:10 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home